HISTORY OF THE LOUISVILLE ELECTRICAL JATC
PROFESSIONAL ELECTRICAL CAREERS THROUGH QUALITY APPRENTICESHIP AND TRAINING
The Louisville Electrical Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee was officially formed in November 1956 by a joint effort of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local Union 369 and the Louisville Electrical Contractors Association (LECA). The office was located in the Columbia Building downtown Louisville.
At this time the Program was five years of electrical training and had about 145 apprentices. Classes were conducted at Ahrens Vocational school. One of the first actions of this newly formed Committee was to recognize the importance of registering all of its apprentices with the State and Federal Departments of Labor; a practice that is still carried on today.
In August 1965, the apprenticeship office was moved to the Republic Building in downtown Louisville. In 1967, classes were moved to Englehard Vocational school and in 1968 the electrical program was changed to a four-year curriculum. In June 1975 classes were held at Detrick Vocational and in December of that year the apprenticeship office moved to the Nolan Building on Gardner Lane. In August 1977 classes were held at the Jefferson State Vocational facility.
Finally, in June 1984, after years of using space at various vocational schools, the Louisville Electrical JATC purchased its building at 1021 South Floyd Street. In 1988 the Program added a fifth year to its classroom related training. In August 1998, the Louisville Electrical JATC took over the management of the Central Kentucky JATC. In September 1999, the Program made the transition from a nighttime classroom schedule to a daytime schedule. Under this new schedule, apprentices would receive their classroom related training one day every other week for eight hours each day. This format is still used today.
In July 2002, the Program moved into its new 22,000 square foot Training Facility at 4315 Preston Highway. The main structure houses various general-purpose classrooms and many Hands-on spaces. These include a circuitry and motor lab, Nationally Certified BICSI lab, transformer Lab, security & access control lab, building automation classroom, PLC computer lab, PLC hands-on lab, VFD lab, a welding lab, and a full size, fully functional 14 section conveyor for students to experience most aspects of an industrial build.
March 2012 the Louisville Electrical JATC began conducting classes in A1 (Annex 1), its new 8000 square foot state of the art hands-on facility at 1204 Durrett Lane adjacent to the Training Center. This building contains individual specialized labs for basic circuitry, fire alarm, medium voltage, conduit bending, wire pulling and installation, and an indoor roof to build a fully functional photovoltaic solar array.
The Louisville Electrical JATC Committee recognized the need to better serve the central region of the state. Renovation of an existing 10,000 square foot facility in Lexington Kentucky began. The first classes were conducted on the “Central Kentucky JATC” campus in 2014. This training uses the same structure and curriculum as the Louisville Campus.
In 2016 plans began for an additional hands-on training space at the Louisville Campus dubbed “A2” (Annex 2). This 5000 square foot building adds an amazing 15 station Hands-on Motor Control lab, a new “Safety Room”, Rigging – lifting – Knots lab, and 4 multipurpose rooms that each contain single phase and 3 phase transformer equipment, electrical panels, motors stations, and motor control stations.
Today the Louisville Electrical JATC (Branded as the Kentuckiana Electrical Apprenticeship and Training), encompasses 4 buildings on two campuses totaling over 44,000 square feet of training space. Annually we train over 400 apprentices, hundreds of Journey Level Electricians, Construction Electricians, and Construction Wiremen.